In this fascinating interview with Rubin Naiman, PhD, we explore how REM deprivation is the secret enemy of our health!
He is a psychologist, sleep and dream specialist and clinical assistant professor of medicine at the world-renowned University of Arizona Center for Integrative Medicine, directed by Dr. Andrew Weil. Dr. Naiman is a leader in the development of integrative approaches to sleep and dream disorders, integrating conventional sleep science with depth psychological, transpersonal and spiritual perspectives.
Dr. Naiman is the author of several groundbreaking works on sleep, including Healing Night, Healthy Sleep (with Andrew Weil), The Yoga of Sleep, and Hush: A Book of Bedtime Contemplations, as well as various professional articles and book chapters. He has been featured in numerous magazines and newspapers and has blogged about sleep and dreams for HuffPost. Dr. Naiman’s work has been described as "life changing!" Please see www.drnaiman.com and @DrNaiman on Twitter.
- On the show we talk about how “dream downsizing” is hurting us, and “the fatal error” of dream interpretation—what does this refer to?
- Capture, coddle and carry your dreams into the waking world.
- Dreaming is not just something we passively experience; it reflects our personal posture toward all experience.
- Examining a dream with our waking world eyes is like looking at the night sky through sunglasses.
- Struggles with accessing deeper sleep are struggles with accessing deeper parts of ourselves.